For aspiring young professional punters out there, I thought a step-by-step behind the scenes guide to how I analyse racing would be beneficial.
Here's what happens...
Friday Night:
After a long week at work, the weekend used to be about going out with friends and relaxing. This has now changed. As soon as I get home from work, I quickly eat my tea, grab a few cups of tea and head upstairs to my room. Before I leave work in the morning, I update all of the racing software I use, so all results and horse ratings are up to date and Saturday's meetings are ready on my screen.
A pen and pad are waiting on my desk and I then set to work on studying each race. Unlike serious professional gamblers, I lack the resources such as sectional times and recorded racing, so I am sometimes unable to revisit races which involve horses in question. If I am serious about a horse, I will research it on the web and log in to At The Races and Racing UK online and watch their last race. That way, I get a better picture and can build my own opinion, rather than relying on the figures and facts provided by my software.
Each race, depending on how many runners there are, will take me roughly 45 minutes to complete. During that time, I look at the horse's form, what ground it likes etc. Once all runners have been analysed to a satisfactory point, I then look at all of them together and look at who can beat who and then make a predicted finishing order. It is then, that I make my final decision on who I think is most likely to win the race.
As time passes and I become more and more familiar with looking at these races, I will be able to get more done in the same space of time and I will therefore, add more races to the blog. Presently, I aim to do 2 races from each jump meeting on the day.
Once this is done, I have now decided not to upload the tips onto the blog until Saturday morning, just before midday. That way, the site gets much more traction.
Saturday Morning/Afternoon:
It's quite sad, but normally I struggle to sleep properly on Friday night as I am constantly looking forward to Saturday's racing. This means I am up bright and early and ready to upload the tips onto the blog. I tend to spend the whole of Saturday in the bookmakers with friend, Jonny Stubbs, watching each race as it unfolds. I have already mentioned his inability to follow my tips and still believes that putting his stake money onto the virtual Blackjack will generate a bigger return, so the day is effectively me, sweating over the racing, whilst he sweats over whether the dealer gets a Queen and a Ace.
Once all racing has been completed, I always spend an hour or so reflecting over the results and seeing where I went right and wrong. I will always be right about some things and always wrong about some things. There will never be a time where I get everything right, or everything wrong. It is simply not the case.
Finally, whether I win or lose, I never let it go to my head. If I lose every race I tip in, my only frustration will be that other people have put their money on my tips. I never feel annoyed for losing my own money. However, I know that this is a marathon and if I keep this process, people will win with my bets. That's the long and short of it.
Please check out the blog tomorrow for tips on racing at Chepstow, Kempton and Newcastle
Twitter: www.twitter.com/wheresmyedge
Here's what happens...
Friday Night:
After a long week at work, the weekend used to be about going out with friends and relaxing. This has now changed. As soon as I get home from work, I quickly eat my tea, grab a few cups of tea and head upstairs to my room. Before I leave work in the morning, I update all of the racing software I use, so all results and horse ratings are up to date and Saturday's meetings are ready on my screen.
A pen and pad are waiting on my desk and I then set to work on studying each race. Unlike serious professional gamblers, I lack the resources such as sectional times and recorded racing, so I am sometimes unable to revisit races which involve horses in question. If I am serious about a horse, I will research it on the web and log in to At The Races and Racing UK online and watch their last race. That way, I get a better picture and can build my own opinion, rather than relying on the figures and facts provided by my software.
Each race, depending on how many runners there are, will take me roughly 45 minutes to complete. During that time, I look at the horse's form, what ground it likes etc. Once all runners have been analysed to a satisfactory point, I then look at all of them together and look at who can beat who and then make a predicted finishing order. It is then, that I make my final decision on who I think is most likely to win the race.
As time passes and I become more and more familiar with looking at these races, I will be able to get more done in the same space of time and I will therefore, add more races to the blog. Presently, I aim to do 2 races from each jump meeting on the day.
Once this is done, I have now decided not to upload the tips onto the blog until Saturday morning, just before midday. That way, the site gets much more traction.
Saturday Morning/Afternoon:
It's quite sad, but normally I struggle to sleep properly on Friday night as I am constantly looking forward to Saturday's racing. This means I am up bright and early and ready to upload the tips onto the blog. I tend to spend the whole of Saturday in the bookmakers with friend, Jonny Stubbs, watching each race as it unfolds. I have already mentioned his inability to follow my tips and still believes that putting his stake money onto the virtual Blackjack will generate a bigger return, so the day is effectively me, sweating over the racing, whilst he sweats over whether the dealer gets a Queen and a Ace.
Once all racing has been completed, I always spend an hour or so reflecting over the results and seeing where I went right and wrong. I will always be right about some things and always wrong about some things. There will never be a time where I get everything right, or everything wrong. It is simply not the case.
Finally, whether I win or lose, I never let it go to my head. If I lose every race I tip in, my only frustration will be that other people have put their money on my tips. I never feel annoyed for losing my own money. However, I know that this is a marathon and if I keep this process, people will win with my bets. That's the long and short of it.
Please check out the blog tomorrow for tips on racing at Chepstow, Kempton and Newcastle
Twitter: www.twitter.com/wheresmyedge
No comments:
Post a Comment