I very rarely used to go racing. Nor did I ever watch it at home. The only way I would ever see a horse run would be down at Ladbrokes in the center of Clevedon. I would sit there, drinking more cans of Coke than I can count, and just watch racing. On that note, if you ever want a free drink, keep going to the bookmakers time and time again. After a while, they remember you and start chatting. Before you know it, you're invited to their Christmas Party, they offer you some of their chips they bought around the corner and handing out more Coke than McDonalds.

Believe me, the ladies down at Ladbrokes see me more often than their husbands.
Although, that's for another time.
Anyway...
Up until November, I never used to go racing. I either couldn't find the time or I simply couldn't afford the petrol. Now, I go twice a month, on a Saturday. Without fail.
Firstly, I went to Taunton on my 19th Birthday with my friend who I've known since the age of 5, Ryan Reynolds. The man had never stepped foot in a bookies, let alone been to a racecouse. This was going to be an experience. He dressed as if he was going to Royal Ascot and when we got to Taunton, on a cold Thursday morning with barely enough people to fill the Bristol Rovers stadium, we didn't feel the day was going our way.
And it wasn't until the last race, where A P McCoy won on Dormouse (9/2), leaving us both screaming, in what was now, an empty paddock. Ryan had a tenner left and therefore opted out of betting McCoy, whereas I had the courage to sick £20 down and left with a big smile on my face.
Since then, I have been to Chepstow, Ascot, Cheltenham and Taunton again. Each time with another good friend, Jonny Stubbs. Jonny would be essentially my right hand man when it came to racing. On the long journeys, he would take out my notes and breeze through the Racing Post, scribbling down bits of key information we would need later on that day.
Racing hasn't been kind to Jonny, I must admit. He would rather be down the casino playing BlackJack against 80 year old Chinese men. Personally, not my cup of tea.
Another companion of mine, dear Milo Crockford. Milo is a man with little or no sense of urgency. His knowledge of racing is limited and my thoughts were confirmed when Milo bravely went up to a bookmaker at Ascot and asked if he could have 34p each way on a horse.
Need I say more.
Thanks for tuning in again guys.
JH - 22/01/2013

Believe me, the ladies down at Ladbrokes see me more often than their husbands.
Although, that's for another time.
Anyway...
Up until November, I never used to go racing. I either couldn't find the time or I simply couldn't afford the petrol. Now, I go twice a month, on a Saturday. Without fail.
Firstly, I went to Taunton on my 19th Birthday with my friend who I've known since the age of 5, Ryan Reynolds. The man had never stepped foot in a bookies, let alone been to a racecouse. This was going to be an experience. He dressed as if he was going to Royal Ascot and when we got to Taunton, on a cold Thursday morning with barely enough people to fill the Bristol Rovers stadium, we didn't feel the day was going our way.
And it wasn't until the last race, where A P McCoy won on Dormouse (9/2), leaving us both screaming, in what was now, an empty paddock. Ryan had a tenner left and therefore opted out of betting McCoy, whereas I had the courage to sick £20 down and left with a big smile on my face.
Since then, I have been to Chepstow, Ascot, Cheltenham and Taunton again. Each time with another good friend, Jonny Stubbs. Jonny would be essentially my right hand man when it came to racing. On the long journeys, he would take out my notes and breeze through the Racing Post, scribbling down bits of key information we would need later on that day.
Racing hasn't been kind to Jonny, I must admit. He would rather be down the casino playing BlackJack against 80 year old Chinese men. Personally, not my cup of tea.
Another companion of mine, dear Milo Crockford. Milo is a man with little or no sense of urgency. His knowledge of racing is limited and my thoughts were confirmed when Milo bravely went up to a bookmaker at Ascot and asked if he could have 34p each way on a horse.
Need I say more.
Thanks for tuning in again guys.
JH - 22/01/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment